This application calculates the precise spectral type of a main sequence star using surface temperature. Use this astronomy app to discover all the different classes of stars from M through O. Some newer star types are included such as Y, K, and L.
– Enter a surface temperature from 250K to 60,000K.
– As you edit the temperature, the results will change in real time.
– Pictures of example stars from each spectral class.
– Learn about the MK System that defines each star class.
– View the graph that shows the distribution of star classes vs. luminosity